Thursday, October 11th, 2018, 8:30am-12:00pm & 1:00pm-3:30pm, Catholic Charities, Harrisburg, PA
This workshop introduces basic principles of couples relationship assessment and treatment, integrating ideas from three leading evidence-informed models of couples treatment. These models include Imago Therapy, John Gottman’s model, and Emotionally Focused Treatment. The importance of collaboratively identifying the couple’s core negative interactional cycle is discussed, as well as identifying core relationship strengths. Basic treatment techniques for decreasing emotional reactivity, interrupting negative interactional cycles and pushing the conversation are described and demonstrated. This workshop will involve a mix of didactic, film, small group discussion, and practice.
As a result of attending this training, participants will be able to:
- Describe methods for assessing severity of discord and tension points
- Describe methods for identifying couple strengths and remaining strength-focused in treatment
- Describe strategies for interrupting negative cycles
- Identify three major couples therapy models
- Explain the application of common couples’ interventions
- Identify strategies for facilitating more effective ways to communicate and express emotions
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our FBMHS Policies & FAQs for additional information regarding the CFBT online learning center, accommodations for disabilities, reporting problems with the course, instructions for viewing webinars, etc.