CE Hours: 6.0
Norristown: Thursday, 9/26/19
PA Counseling Services: Thursday 9/19/19
Philhaven: Friday, 10/11/18
It is important to the success of treatment that family members understand and buy-in to the treatment approach. Towards this end, this workshop is designed to help therapists introduce and explain the ESFT treatment approach to families. Participants will learn key information to share with families about the ESFT model, such as how treatment sessions are structured and the focus on relationships. Since attention spans can be short and the principles underlying any treatment approach can be complex, workshop participants will engage in a small group activity where they develop an “elevator pitch” that describes the model quickly and simply. They will also develop an “orienting script” that provides more information for the family about what to expect during treatment and then practice delivering it through role play. The workshop discusses systemic thinking, language, and actions that are the cornerstones of ESFT intervention, and reviews basic principles and practices that therapists should keep in mind when working in family homes. Throughout the workshop, participants will learn strategies to both prevent and respond to common challenges that can occur when introducing the treatment approach.
As a result of participating in this workshop, therapists will be able to:
- Identify basic principles of home-based treatment
- Recognize differences between systemic and non-systemic approaches to treatment
- List the six core mechanisms of change in ESFT
- Develop an “elevator pitch” that simply describes the model to families
- Demonstrate through role play an ability to orient family members to ESFT using the “elevator pitch”
- Describe strategies to manage common challenges of the treatment orientation process
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our FBMHS Policies & FAQs for additional information regarding the CFBT online learning center, accommodations for disabilities, reporting problems with the course, instructions for viewing webinars, etc.